“Strength and Honor are her clothing.”
If you’ve ever read Proverbs 31, then you are probably like most of us and think “Wow, how can I possibly be THAT superwoman?” (And if you haven’t yet read it, I encourage you to.) I think it can apply to us today. But let’s be real, you’re probably NOT greeting your husband at the city gates, or speaking wisdom on a daily basis and I know my kids love me but they don’t ‘arise and call me blessed’ very often. Although I do get breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day. Does that count?
So, I went searching for a more “current” explanation of the Proverbs 31 Woman and here’s what I found. It’s a compelling article on the “10 Virtues Of The Proverbs 31 Woman.” Check it out:
3. Mothering – A Virtuous Woman teaches her children the ways of her Father in heaven. She nurtures her children with the love of Christ, disciplines them with care and wisdom, and trains them in the way they should go. (Proverbs 31: 28, Proverbs 31: 26, Proverbs 22: 6)
**Did you notice the ‘order’ of things? God first, then our husbands/wives, and our children third. WOW – that’s hard to keep in order sometimes.
6. Finances – A Virtuous Woman seeks her husband's approval before making purchases and spends money wisely. She is careful to purchase quality items which her family needs. (Proverbs 31:16, 1 Timothy 6:10, Ephesians 5:23, Numbers 18:26)
8. Homemaking – A Virtuous Woman is a homemaker. She creates an inviting atmosphere of warmth and love for her family and guests. She uses hospitality to minister to those around her. (Proverbs 31: 20 – 22, Proverbs 31: 27, Titus 2: 5, Hebrews 13: 2)
9. Time – A Virtuous Woman uses her time wisely. She works diligently to complete her daily tasks. She does not spend time dwelling on those things that do not please the Lord. (Proverbs 31: 27, Ecclesiastes 3, Proverbs 16: 9, Philippians 4:8)
10. Beauty – A Virtuous Woman is a woman of worth and beauty. She has the inner beauty that only comes from Christ. She uses her creativity and sense of style to create beauty in her life and the lives of her loved ones. (Proverbs 31: 10, Proverbs 31: 21 – 22, Proverbs 31: 25, Isaiah 61:10, 1 Peter 3:1– 6)
And keep in mind, this is a PROCESS…not perfection so don’t get discouraged. Superwoman is not the goal – leaning on God is!