A Servant’s Heart
Michael Raymen, or Mike the Mailman as he is known, has had his share of troubles. But how he did his job serves as a great reminder to all of us how important it is to love and serve others well.
Mike lost his wife a year ago, and he has continued to deliver mail on his route with pride and care that many would say are forgotten arts these day.
Mike truly had a servant’s heart, and when he knew it was his time to step down from delivering mail on his route and retire, he wrote the most beautiful letter to those whom he served so faithfully for 20 years.
In the handwritten letter (below) that has since gone viral, he said, “It has been a privilege and a pleasure to have been your letter carrier for the past four years . . .I have enjoyed getting to know you and hope that I have provided a service to your liking.”
He adds, “I have seen many changes over the years and have enjoyed and endured all of the triumphs and heartaches. I will miss all of you as you have seemed like a second family to me.”
How beautiful that in his last days on the job, his parting gift was to share a loving message with the strangers for whom he served!
Here are 9 verses that share what the Bible says about serving others:
1. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
2. God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. Hebrews 6:10
3. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
4. For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. Galatians 5:13
5. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24
6. The greatest among you will be your servant. Matthew 23:11
7. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: 1 Peter 4:10
8. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6:10
9. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Galatians 6:10
And here is a Bible verse on work ethic we feel like Mike knew only too well:
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, Luke 6:35
Dear Lord, thank you for this kind mailman, Mike, for his service and for this reminder that You have called us to serve others first! Also help us to remember, Lord, that You can use us in any circumstance to do Your bidding, and that we should always do our job faithfully, do it well, and do it with a smile and helpful heart. In Jesus’ name, AMEN!