If you've ever enjoyed a delicious meal from Chick-fil-A, then you are familiar with Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy — the man who (with the help of some cows) inspired us all to "Eat mor chikin."
Truett Cathy was a highly successful and savvy businessman — a picture perfect example of the American dream. What he started as a family-owned diner in Atlanta has grown to be one of the largest, most popular fast food chains around.
But that is success as it is measured by worldly standards. It's not what makes Truett so inspiring. It was a strong dedication to the Christian faith and its principles that truly defined this man. His faith was not only a part of his business, but every aspect of his life. He valued honesty, hard work and helping other people.
10 quotes from Chick-fil-A founder Truett Cathy to inspire us all:
1. "Nearly every moment of every day we have the opportunity to give something to someone else – our time, our love, our resources. I have always found more joy in giving when I did not expect anything in return."
2. "I knew if I ever had anything, I'd have to work for it."
3. "If you wish to enrich days, plant flowers; If you wish to enrich years, plant trees; If you wish to enrich Eternity, plant ideals in the lives of others."
4. "It is when we stop doing our best work that our enthusiasm for the job wanes. We must motivate ourselves to do our very best, and by our example lead others to do their best as well."
5. "Businesses are not dishonest or greedy, people are."
6. "The unexpected opportunity I enjoy most is the opportunity to turn a frown into a smile."
7. "No goal is too high if we climb with care and confidence."
8. "You have to be very careful about what you say. More importantly, you have to be very careful about what you do. You never know how or when you influence people – especially children."
9. "I worked hard for a C, but I had to work... I find that most successful people are C students."
10. "I'd like to be remembered as one who kept my priorities in the right order. We live in a changing world, but we need to be reminded that the important things have not changed, and the important things will not change if we keep our priorities in proper order."
Work hard. Be honest. Be kind. Think of others. Try your best in all you do.
This is the legacy that Truett Cathy has left behind — this is how he is remembered. Living by these principles does not guarantee us the same financial rewards or worldly success that Truett received. But the favor of the Lord is far more valuable than any riches here on earth!
"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favor rather than silver and gold." Proverbs 22:1
Now, read about the wonderful tribute one local Chick-fil-A gave for a fallen police officer!
Credit: Paul Sohn