Mom Lost Her Child After The Toddler Swallowed A Button Battery So Now She’s Warning Others

toddler swallowed button battery

Krista Hamsmith’s toddler swallowed a button battery and it cost her her life. Now, the grieving mom is turning her tragedy into a life-saving mission to raise awareness of this danger to help save others!

Is it croup or is it battery poisoning? Krista Hamsmith wants to help other parents recognize the symptoms.

RELATED: Parents Caution Others After Son Nearly Dies From Button Battery

In an interview with Inside Edition, Krista said, "It's important for parents to educate themselves about button batteries because we are our children's best advocates."

In the fall of 2020, Krista's daughter, Reese, began running a fever and seemed to have developed a cold. Krista did what every good mother would have done. She promptly took Reese to the pediatrician where the doctor diagnosed her with croup. What no one realized was the toddler had swallowed a button battery.

Despite a doctor's diagnosis, deep down Krista knew something wasn't quite right. That's when she noticed a button battery was missing from one of the remotes in her house. Krista looked up the symptoms of button battery poisoning and she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that her baby girl didn't have croup. Her toddler swallowed a button battery and was suffering from battery poisoning.

Mom’s Warning After Toddler Swallowed Button Battery

Soon, her worst nightmares were realized. An x-ray revealed Reese had a battery lodged in her esophagus.

RELATED: What Doctors Mistook For The Flu Was Actually Swallowed Magnets

This is an extremely dangerous situation because button batteries continue burning tissue even days after surgeons remove the battery. Medical professionals shared that the batteries generate hydroxide which causes tissue to burn.

After Reese had surgery to remove the swallowed button battery, she took a turn for the worse. Doctors ran more tests only to realize a fistula had developed. I

n Krista's darkest hours, God reminded her that He was with Krista and her sick daughter. In the dark hours of the night, Krista looked up and noticed a sign on the wall of her baby girl's hospital room. It read, "He has a plan and I have a purpose."

Sadly, Reese passed away at just 18 months old. After Reese left this earth, Krista formed a nonprofit called "Reese's Purpose" to raise awareness about button batteries. She is even working with Congress to help educate parents about button battery safety.

God Brings Life-Saving Purpose To Mom’s Pain

Krista hopes to change how button batteries are protected in packaging and in the items that use these types of batteries.

RELATED: Mother Warns Others After Fidget Spinner Nearly Kills Her Daughter

Despite suffering unimaginable grief, Krista knows God has a purpose and plan for Reese's short little life on earth. She believes God is using Reese's life and passing to help prevent the possible poisoning and deaths of other children. Everyone has battery-operated items in their homes. In fact, everything from food scales to remote controls use button batteries.

God can use anyone's life to save the lives of others. Thanks to Krista's mission and her compassion, more parents and grandparents can be educated about the dangers of button batteries.

We praise God for comforting and walking with Krista in her grief and we praise Him even more as God uses this mission to save the lives of more children!

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Boy Becomes Hysterical At Family Cookout And Common BBQ Menace Is To Blame

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

WATCH: Toddler Swallowed Button Battery And Her Grieving Mom Warns Others

LISTEN: Mom Pens Hardest Post She'll Ever Write to Warn Others After 9-Year-Old Son's Tragic Death | Teen Working at Kroger Hears Senior Citizen Told to Put Groceries Back So He Pulls Out His Wallet

h/t: Godtube

Featured Image Credit: Youtube/Good Morning America