By William Thatcher, Shirley, Illinois
Since sunup I’d been out on the Missouri River, riding around in my 14-foot metal boat. The river was running high and fast, swollen from heavy fall rains. Lots of debris floated past, mainly branches from the willow trees that grew along the shore.
Every once in a while an entangled mess would come my way, and I’d have to maneuver around it. But I was used to the outdoors, and to adventureâ€"small boats, single-engine planes, hiking in nature.
I liked excitement, and I liked that God always made sure I came home safe. This evening I would thank him properly over a fresh duck dinner with my wife.
As I motored along, the sun was high in a bright blue sky. A raccoon at the water’s edge took a little dip. A doe slipped quickly, silently through the trees. Nature was abundantly on display, but I had not come across one other boat the whole day.
The call startled me. Who had snuck up on my boat like that?
I turned around and looked in every direction. Hunters don’t play games. There was no one out here on the river. No one but me. Just as I’d suspected. But still, I could have sworn I heard my name, clear as day.
This time the call came with more urgency. It was a warning call. Unmistakably.
I jerked around to look over my shoulder. Whoa! An enormous log barreled straight toward me. I turned the motor and swerved my little boat out of its path. Seconds later it passed by me. The log must have been 20 feet long and three feet wide. Probably washed away from one of the dams upriver.
About 100 yards downstream was an empty steel barge moored along the shore. The log hit the steel barge so hard and fast that the barge was launched up into the air before finally falling back into the water. That could have been me!
I could barely catch my breath. My hands were shaking so hard I couldn’t hold onto the motor. If I hadn’t moved out of that log’s path, I knew I’d be dead.
That night when I got home from my latest adventure, I had more than our dinner to thank the Lord for. I heard an angel out on the river today, and I told my wife. An angel called my name "and saved my life.
30 True Stories about Angels on Earth
This article is part of a series of articles about angels on earth. Here are links to 30 true stories about angels so you can read some of these accounts for yourself and be blessed.
- True Stories About Angels on Earth
- If You Think Angels Don't Exist, Think Again! You Will Melt When You Hear What This Grandmother Said.
- Woman Credits Guardian Angel For Her Safety After Huge Tree Crushes Her Car
- This Man Had Lost All Hope ‘Til God Sent An Unlikely Angel
- What This Man Has Seen Is A Nightmare Then Encounters Dream Angel
- This Homeless Man Was About To Sleep In A Walmart Parking Lot, AGAIN. Until God Sent 2 Angels To His Car–WOW!
- God Sends Angel After Husband Crashes While Rushing Pregnant Wife To Hospital
- She Was About To Take Her Own Life, But God Sent These 2 Angels To Stop Her.
- God Sent a Mysterious Angel to Pray with Victim of Terrible Car Crash
- This Angel Dog Had One Last Message For His Owner. And It Gave Me CHILLS!
- An Unlikely Angel Reunites A Grieving Mom With Her Lost Locket
- The Angel At The End Of The Rainbow Was A Sign From God
- Note From A Stranger Reveals This Cat's Secret Life As A Fur Angel
- An Answered Prayer And Special Angel Saves Mom And Baby
- Angels At A Gas Station Help A Struggling Man And His Family
- Intruders Threaten Young Woman With A Machete Until A Special Angel Appears