Dolly Parton’s faith is nothing new. The country legend is known for being outspoken about her relationship with God. But the singer has revealed that she was once so depressed that she picked up a gun and considered suicide. That confession is shocking, but the Divine Intervention that happened next is truly stunning. God sent Dolly Parton a furry angel in her time of need to save her life.
It’s no secret that Dolly grew up in poverty so she didn’t have many worldly possessions, but she did have Jesus. She was raised in a one-room shack with 11 siblings, and even as a child, she would turn to God. She said she would go to an abandoned chapel near her home and, "I would sing hymns to God, One day as I prayed in earnest, I broke through some sort of spirit wall and found God. [The Lord is] a friend I could talk to on a one-on-one basis."
But even people with a strong relationship with God can have their setbacks. In her latest book, “Dolly on Dolly”, the country star remembers a dark time in her life. After suffering with health problems for years, she learned she’d never be able to have children with her husband.
Dolly’s marriage suffered. She became confused, heartbroken and depressed for years. Then one day, she wondered if she should even go on living.
Dolly Parton’s Faith Tested
"I was sitting upstairs in my bedroom one afternoon when I noticed in the nightstand drawer my gun that I keep for burglars," said Dolly. "I looked at it a long time. ... Then, just as I picked it up, just to hold it and look at it for a moment, our little dog, Popeye, came running up the stairs. The tap-tap-tap of his paws jolted me back to reality I suddenly froze. I put the gun down. Then I prayed. I kinda believe Popeye was a spiritual messenger from God."
“our little dog, Popeye, came running up the stairs. The tap-tap-tap of his paws jolted me back to reality I suddenly froze. I put the gun down. Then I prayed. I kinda believe Popeye was a spiritual messenger from God." – Dolly Parton
Dolly knew what she needed to do, and she began to pray really hard.
YOU MAY LIKE: Woman Apologizes to Dolly in Open Letter: “I used to think you were a bimbo.”
"I don't think I'd have done it, killed myself, but I can't say for sure. Now that I've gone through that terrible moment, I can certainly understand the possibilities, even for someone solid like me, if the pain gets bad enough." Dolly said.
Now, Dolly doesn’t let a day go by without saying her daily prayers. She even has a chapel on her property. "A belief in God is essential," Dolly said.
God not only saved her from killing herself, but He blessed Dolly’s marriage to Carl Dean.
Dolly and her husband have celebrated being married for more than 50 years, and she wouldn’t have it any other way.
"We know each other so well," Dolly said. "I know every line in Carl's face, and he knows every hair in my wig!"
WATCH: Larry King Quizes Dolly Parton
WATCH: Dolly Parton’s Faith And Marriage
YOU MAY LIKE: Kenny Rogers And Dolly Parton Sing ‘Islands In The Stream'
Christian Celebrity Stories
This article is just one of many articles featured on GodUpdates about Christian celebrities and their faith. Here is a small sampling of other inspiring testimonies and stories we thought you may like!
- 4 Celebrity Testimonies You Can't Miss
- 7 Touching Testimonies by Christian Celebrities
- 18 Real Inspirational Stories of Faith and Hope Will Encourage You
- Did You Know These 10 Hollywood Celebrities Are Christians?
- Comedian Stephen Colbert Told Hollywood He Wouldn't Defile Jesus
- 7 Reasons To Love Bear Grylls. This TV Adventurer's Faith Will Move You!
- Hollywood Actor Chris Pratt Shares About Being ‘Pro Jesus" In A Recent Interview
- Movie Blockbuster Star Shares Testimony Of Choosing God Over Career
- How Actress Jennifer Garner Was Inspired To Start Taking Her Kids To Church Every Sunday
- TV News Anchor Ainsley Earhardt Shares Testimony Of Putting God First
- Dolly Parton Reveals How Faith Saved Her from Suicidal Depression
- Country Superstar Luke Bryan Opens up About the Death of His Brother
- Christian News Anchor Refuses To Work On Sundays
- This Heart Throb Was A Reality Star. But The Star In His Life Is JESUS
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Hollywood's Lovable Goofball, Jim Nabors
- 5 Lessons Jimmy Fallon Can Teach About Worship
- Rocker Ozzy Osbourne Visits Ark Encounter And Has Shocking Reaction
- Josh Groban Walked Out Of A TV Interview To Stay True To His Faith
- Rock Legend Gene Simmons Is Standing Up For Christians
- Former Disney Child Star Loses Mom, Hits Rock Bottom, Then Finds Jesus
- Simon Asks Fellow Celebrity To Help Father Of 6 On AGT